JYVÄSKYLÄ CHRISTIAN INSTITUTE
We are in Jyväskylä, 268 km to the north from Helsinki in Central Finland with good traffic connections: a railway station and several daily long-distance express bus lines from Helsinki airport and city center.
- Our school was founded in 1942 and is owned by a private NGO foundation
- We have about 520 student
- We respect Christian values, but our school has international students and staff with many cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds
- We have regional, national and international network
- In our campus area we offer excellent facilities (a library with PCs and internet, free wifi, a restaurant)
- Our school dormitories offer accommodation for 40 students and hostel guests in double rooms, and also studio flats with private kitchenettes and bathrooms
- Our school has a great diversity: we have about 150 migrant students from 25 different countries with 19 different languages
Vocational education with national degrees
- Vocational Qualification in Education and Guidance (work as a Youth and Community Instructor or as a Children´s Instructor in kindergartens)
- Further Vocational Qualification in Education and Guidance (work as a Learning Support Assistant/Morning and Afternoon Club Activity Instructor or as a Childminder at a family day care)
- Further Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services (work as a personal assistant, a home aid, a cleaner or a janitor)
- Further Vocational Qualification in Parish and Funeral Services (work as a verger or a cemetery caretaker, or as an employee in customer service in a funeral home in funeral services)
Free-oriented youth and adult education
- Interior design
- Graphic design
- Open University studies
Comprehensive school for young and adult students
- Tenth extra grade of comprehensive school studies
- Comprehensive school studies for adult students (basic skills, lower level, upper level)
Accomodation, conference and festivity services
- Accommodation services in hostel flats in a peaceful environment near the city center
- A lovely restaurant with 120 seats for catering services and an assembly hall and facilities for private family gatherings as weddings and birthday parties
- Comfortable facilities for business meetings, seminars, community gatherings and concerts
- Weekend and summer courses on various topics
- Further education and leadership courses
Vision and strategy for the Future
- We have international cooperation in Erasmus+- projects and in Unesco ASPNET- School network
- We focus on global citizenship and sustainable development according to UN Agenda 2030 goals
- We have efficient cooperation models with the working life
- We use digital facilities both in teaching and in learning
Principal Mr Harri Erkamaa
tel. +358 44 7522 764
Ms Anna-Liisa Vallipuro
tel. +358 50 3899 641
Accommodation and bookings:
Ms Katriina Holma
Erasmus+ KA1: European Dimension for Adult Education, 1.9.2020 -31.5.2023
The Erasmus+ KA1 project for the staff in adult education. In the project the staff ( the teachers, career counsellors, speacial education teachers etc.) can attend in staff mobility, as a training coursce, a teaching assignment, or a job shadowing period in another EU country. in The project time is 2020-2023. The coorodinator in the consortium is the Jyväskylä Educational Consortium Gradia in Jyväskylä, Finland and the finance comes via Finnish National Erasmus Agency in Helsinki.
European Dimension for Adult Education is a mobility project coordinated by Jyväskylä Educational Consortium Gradia. The partners are educational organizations or associations in Central Finland working with adults, incl. training, coaching, guidance, mentoring and support to strengthen general skills and competences in life-control or finding new dimensions of life, e.g. with arts, music, dance or foreign languages: Jyväskylä Adult Education Centre, Jyväskylä Christian Institute, Summer University of Jyväskylä, Jyvälä Settlement, Koskela Settlement, Green Care Centre Könkkölä and Multicultural Centre Gloria.
The target group consists of teachers, trainers, coaches, study counsellors, managers, administrative and other staff in service of adult learners. The application includes 77 mobilities (ca. 10% of the eligible target group) out of which 43 are Structured Courses/Training Events. Further, most deal with language courses with either basic or advanced level of English, which clearly indicates the basic needs of the partners to strengthen the linguistic and communicative skills of their staff. There are a few courses directed to specific professional fields, such as management skills, administrative tasks, pedagogical solutions and arts (handicraft and design, music, dance and illustrative arts).There are 30 mobilities for Job Shadowing. The partners wish to observe colleagues’ work, e.g. in Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Austria.
Erasmus+ KA1: Together -live long learning skills for everybody 3, 1.8.2019-31.7.2022
The Erasmus+KA1 project for the staff and the students in vocational education (VET). In the project the staff ( the teachers, career counsellors, speacial education teachers etc.) can attend in staff mobility to help their students of the vocational studies having their work practise in a work place in another EU country. The students fullfill the student mobility in training in another EU country. The project time is 2019-2022. The coorodinator in the consortium is Seurakuntaopisto Educational Consortium, in Helsinki, Finland and the finance comes via Finnish National Erasmus Agency in Helsinki.
Erasmus+ KA2: PGAC = Peace, Global, Active, Citizenship, 2020-2022
Erasmus+ KA2 project for the comprehensive school studies in strategic partnership where the 5 partner schools organize each a one-week thematic workshop.
Starting from the consideration that global active citizenship needs to promote the concept of civic participation, our project will focus on the analysis of some aspects as integration, equality, sustainability, environment protection, volunteering and knowledge of the common European roots of partner countries , aiming to find keys to empower intercultural dialogue to reduce social and cultural barriers to foster respect towards “ the new, different, unknown” and to enhance an active European citizenship to develop civic and social competences which encourage inclusion, democracy, participation of the future European citizens to the governance of their own countries.
- Italy: Liceo Scientifico “Galileo Galilei”, Potenza
- Portugal: AGRUPAMENTO DE ESCOLAS SANTOS SIMÕES, Guimaraes
- Belgium: GO! Atheneum Oostende, Oostende
- Greece: FIRST GENIKO LYKEIO KILKIS, Kilkis
- Finland: Jyväskylä Christian Institute, Jyväskylä
Comprehensive school studies for adults at the Jyväskylä Christian Institute
Study programme of Literacy Level (Basic Skills studies), LUK
This study programme is meant for the adults who are over 17 years old and have no skills in literacy and numeracy, or the skills are poor. The students usually can not read and write in Finnish.
The study programme includes the basic skills of the comprehensive school studies.
The students will get a personal study plan and the length of the studies is adjusted to its objectives.
The study programme includes school subjects, as literacy courses, Finnish as a second language, numeracy and mathematics, social studies, environmental studies and knowledge of the Finnish culture and working life.
The student also recieves career counselling.
The study programme is one year (9 months) and has no school fee. It includes all study materials and one warm school meal daily. The lessons are in Finnish.
Study programme of Lower Level, APA
This study programme is meant for adults over 17 years old , who have only few prior classes of the comprehensive school studies or they lack certain parts of it. The students have gaps or challenges in skills of lower level studies.
The student gets a personal study plan, which includes school subjects, as Finnish as a second language, mathematics, IT technology, environmental studies, social studies and English.
The study programme is 1,5 years (15 months) and has no school fee. It includes all study materials and one warm school meal daily. The lessons are in Finnish.
The student also recieves career counselling and has a work practise period in a work place outside school.
In the beginning of this study programme the student should have skills of the Finnish language on level A1.2 on Common European Framework of Reference for Langugaes (CERF).
Study programme of Upper Level (graduation level), AIPE
This study programme is meant for adults over 17 years old, who have only few prior classes of the comprehensive school studies or they lack certain parts of it. The students have gaps or challenges in skills of upper level studies.
The student recieves a personal study plan, which includes school subjects, as Finnish as a second language, mathematics, chemistry and physics , history , IT technology, environmental studies, social studies and foreign languages.
The study progamme is 1-2 years and has no school fee. It insludes all study materials and one warm school meal daily. The lessons are in Finnish.
The student also recieves career counselling and has a work practise period in a work place outside school.
The goal of this study programme is to achieve the graduation of the National Finnish comprehensive school or to improve the grades in the certificate.
In the beginning of this study programme the student should have the level of A2.2 in Finnish.
Integration with skills and art
Literacy study programme KTT
This study programme is for the migrant adults older than 17 years, who did not have the possibility to get enough education in their home country to meet the challenges of the Finnish society in studies, working life and practical daily activities.
Besides the literacy courses, the study programme supports the student´s whole integration process in the society.
In the beginning of the studies the starting level of the student´s knowledge and skills is checked. It includes information of the educational background, skills in the Finnish language, mathematics, communication and learning strategies, and work experience. The student gets the personal studying plan, which is updated during the studies.
The courses of art help the migrant student to meet the mixed feelings, to strenghten the self esteem and identity. The language of art is international and in artistic activities there is no language barrier or it is very low.
The main goal of the study programme is to support the student to become an active, future oriented, self-imposed, social and responsible citizen. The study programme helps the student to continue to further education.
The content of the study programme:
- literacy courses
- numeracy courses
- art and culture courses
- social studies
- integration courses
- studying skills and career counselling
How to apply:
- Fill in the application form on the internet on web page jko.fi.
- You can also ask for the application form from the school secretary at the school office.
- You will get a personal invitation to an interview.
The school fee:
- The lessons, studying materiais and one warm lunch on school days are free
- It is possible to stay in a double room in the school dormitory on school days (Monday-Friday)
- There is no accomodation in dormitories at weekends and school holidays
- The accomodation is primarily for the students with a long distance to school.